Friday, August 6, 2010

Goodbye Hangzhou!

After six arduous, yet delightful weeks of intensive Chinese language study, it is finally time to say goodbye to Hangzhou. Upon reflecting on my time here, I can honestly say that I've loved every second of my time in China. At times there was miscommunication and culture shock, but never was there a moment where I wanted to leave...looks like I managed to avoid that stage of my international experience, cheers!

I came to China to learn a language, but more importantly, to learn and be a part of a culture that's subtly pervaded every aspect of my life. After 50 days, I can proudly say that I've accomplished this goal. I may not have improved my Chinese as much as I would have liked, but I've traveled every inch of Hangzhou and built long-lasting friendships.

Because of the language pledge, I found myself spending most of my free time with the Chinese roommates, and really absorbing Chinese culture as a result of it. I've mastered the art of bargaining (to the point where the Chinese roommates want me to bargain for them), played tons of Hangzhou majiang (yes, like an old lady), learned shaolin gongfu (at 6 AM twice a week), dabbled with Chinese calligraphy, went to a Chinese movie theater to watch Tangshan's Big Earthquake (where I bawled like a baby and the Chinese roommates have yet to let me forget), explored explored explored (I've been dubbed the crazy girl who never tires and always wants to play by CET), learned a lot of not so kosher language, read Chinese newspapers, sang Chinese songs in KTV (most of which was my mom's 90's music to everyone's amusement), went to a Chinese hospital (an experience on it's own...it's only about 3 RMB to see the doctor so people go for colds and all ailments...no need for prior appointments, just jump in line and wait a few minutes), and so much more.

It's hard to say goodbye to everyone, but like that cheesy saying goes (popularized by Facebook bumper sticker?): "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." I've grown a lot from my Chinese experience and am so grateful to everyone who made it possible and incredible.

And now it's that time again...one hour to go until I leave campus. Who knows when and if I'll return? I hope I will, but now is not the time to think about it...magical packing must happen.

At Yuhuang Mountain: One of the many caves that can be found in Hangzhou

Lotus flower and leaves at West Lake (incidentally, my Chinese name means lotus leaf)

Hangzhou, I will miss you!

1 comment:

  1. "(to the point where the Chinese roommates want me to bargain for them)"

    LOL! Love it! Glad you had such a great experience. =)

    ReplyDelete